We are the oldest Lodge in the Province of Durham and believed to be the only remaining Lodge in the English Constitution which was originally comprised of purely operative masons.
In 1879 the Lodge visited Lodge St. David, Edinburgh, No 26, this being the first recorded visit of a Lodge under the English Constitution to one under the Scottish Constitution.
Over the many years the ceremonies have been and are still today performed using what is termed the “Old Workings.” Perhaps unusually all members of the Lodge are addressed as “Brother”, whether or not they have occupied the Master’s Chair. In the Lodge it is only the acting Master who is addressed as “Worshipful Master.”
For further historical information please use the drop down box.